Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A World of Art - Part Three

Based on my visits to Central Park, which all occurred before The Gates were erected, I can’t imagine being able to take in the scope and scale of the project on a single visit. The park is just too big and the project based on the maps and pictures that I’ve seen is spread out over 843 acres of land.

I’ve mulled over this art project for a few days now and if you ask me why Christo and Jeanne-Claude did it, I would have to say it’s because they enjoy bringing a little color into people’s lives. Their projects come and go more quickly than the seasons. They are like flowers that bloom and then perish, never to be seen again, except in memory. We can take a picture, paint a picture, make a movie, do a news story, but when their art is gone, it’s gone for good. It can be best described in one word, ephemeral.

2 comments:

Raye Deleurme said...

I really enjoyed all three parts of A world of Art. Your great at writing. It was creative how each part lended itself to a saffron theme. I look forward to your future thoughts in our chapters to come.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Raye. Likewise.