Monday, May 12, 2008

A World of Art - Part Two

Some people like to dress up their pets, some people like to dress up their dolls, some people just like to dress up. In many ways, The Gates are a fashion statement. Christo and Jeanne-Claude like to dress up large areas of land.

The most memorable aspect of The Gates is the choice of color. Personally the color of The Gates reminds me of two things, prison uniforms and the garb of Tibetan monks.



In the nineteen sixties, Donovan had a hit with the song "Mellow Yellow".

I'm just mad about Saffron
Saffron's mad about me
I'm just mad about Saffron
She's just mad about me

They call me mellow yellow
Quite rightly



The song expressed a hip attitude about a hip time by an artist who was perceived as a hippie or flower child. Were Christo and Jeanne-Claude revisiting "The Summer of Love" when they dressed Central Park in saffron colored love beads?

It is a thrilling choice of color.



Tibetan Monks at the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, CA / Anne Hutchins 5/30/05. Photo of CPDRC Inmates dancing to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is from Reuters.

No comments: